Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Pigeon Pigeon everywhere

Pigeon Pigeon everywhere
In the kitchen , on the roof , in the air

I don’t stay alone
Nor do I have a single roomy
A birdie couple stayed along , honeymooning.
Their family often flutters around ,crooning

I tried hard to shoo
Holy cow ! , they just can’t figure the way out
All they do is poop.

Pigeon Pigeon everywhere
In the kitchen , on the roof , in the air

I literally talk to them , naah me not a kin ,
To demo the way to use their own wings,

To fly back through the same window they came in

Oh Christ! , dumb they are.

Creating all the mess,
They nest there for frees
I ask “why my home”
They cooed “where are the trees”
They cooed “where are the trees”?

Corollary: Traffic Jams are [directly proportional to the] population of pigeons in cities [inversely proportional to the] Tree density.

There are around one million of them in New York, and Venice has the highest pigeon density with an estimated three birds per human inhabitant. In most big European towns, there is around one pigeon for every 20 citizens.

The terrorized flock of Mumbai .

PS0: Another point to put forward ,when debating age old topic from School -GDs and Essays “Urban development bane or boon to the society “.

PS1: And slums being their by-product.Btw, Slumdog Millionaire is a must watch.


5 comments:

Yamini said...

You are back, after a longggg time!
Nice.

Shilpa said...

@MiniY:I was here only. But thanks ,if you felt I am back …from wherever.

Sowmya said...

Well..what is my response to this post? Its hard to write because I have too many things I can think of :).

Firstly, nice poem and the reference to side-effects of urbanisation.

Did you actually show the pigeons how to spread their wings and fly out from your home? Me being one of the roomies (ref: Not one roomy) has never seen this stunt. If I missed out on it during my stay and you started it later, I would love to come and take a video of it. I am sure a lot of people would be interested. Right Janta?

How did you communicate it to them that you are not the kin? May be there was a communication gap and they understood it as "You ARE the kin".

Why a reference to "Slumdog millionaire" in this post?

Neelima Vallangi said...

brings back memories of the pigeon scares i used to have every morn.. :P

funny how they used to forget the way out and funny how we used to show them the way!!

Shilpa said...

@Com: Belated Belated Thanks.
Oh! you missed the scene.

"Did you actually show the pigeons how to spread their wings and fly out from your home?"
Well not how to use their wings , but ofcourse taught when and for what they shud use it :D
They have fluttered through every corner at my home , with me running behind them with a broom .The conversations or stunts involved are quite camera friendly.
And reg kin thing...u knw how well i gel with animals...remember Australian zookeeper thing?

Pigeon population>Urbanization> slums.

@Neel: Chalo good , u still remember.Funny and scary .chaa we cud have taken a video as Com suggested ..or atleast an audio ..those fliping of wings and our shrieks.