Sunday, July 6, 2008

Of Jamun, Saree & Media

My first.
I screwed up my first TV interview. There could have been a far better and more accurate answer for what I do on weekends ,Damn it!

I bought my first Saree ever and was desperately hoping that somebody marries(somebody else) so that I can inaugurate the attire. And yes ! we have found two occasions (thanks to the ppl around who all r of marriageable age).
Of cooking:-
Yes ,we have been cooking a lot .Since ppl around me -my x-roommate Neel and my new roommate –R are great cooks.(Mom will be happy)
Following is the outcome:-


Yummm and the story how it happened goes like this .I have sweet tooth , I badly need something sweet after dinner .Especially if we (the girls gang) are having these extended night gupshup, that too on Tanky top of our terrace .When the clock strikes 12 my cravings go on peak, the crib starts –“I want chocolate ice cream ..Neel please go and bring.....Plzz I so badly want it ” and all she says is - Dear get urself a boyfriend he will bring it for u at any peak hour !(pause) ,sigh !
Cravings are contagious. They take different course with different intensity depending on the host. This time the host was Neel (as ppl are aware of her demanding and huge appetite).
She badly wanted to eat Gulab jamun on one fine day at night around 9 PM.None of us wanted to go out of the house. Were too lazy to even get up from the bed . Upaar se there are no proper sweet shops, no vehicle around. We kept lying in a false hope that Almond house would travel on its own to Mayuri lane.
Suddenly we got a call from Miss S .She wanted to visit us and stay overnight –“Lightning strikes ,clouds disappear , an angel appears” .We requested, pleaded for Gulab Jamuns and arrangements were made. We kept waiting.
After an hour Miss S calls again- “ Lightning strikes , dark clouds reappear , angel dis-appears”.Her plans are changed , she is going home directly. Of our request she promised to fulfill the next day.(long pause) (cry)!
Neel got all psyched.She said “ I want to eat now at any cost , we are going to cook it ourselves”. What about the ingredients ? She went out to the local kirana @ Mayuri lane and bought it.
Preparations started I made the dough, Neel made the chashanee.
“ Lightning strikes , dark clouds reappear ,Demon appears”.
Oh no! The manufacturing date of the Jamun mix looks very old……this seems to be expiry date ! naheeee ……..common ,check the best before .I almost scanned the whole packet and finally somewhere in the middle of those cooking recipe miniature instructions , found the best before , phew ! three more months left-“ Lightning strikes ,dark clouds disappear , an angel appears”.

Preparations continued .The Jamuns were ready finally and were a success -as they say “sabar ka phal meetha hota hai”.In the back drop there were dinner preparations –Rice, Dal, Bhindi fry , ghee and achar. I learned and made (yes from A to z by yours truly )the south Indian style dal – Tomato Pappu and this is how it looked


At the expense of this

PS0: GJ credit moslty goes to Neel.
PS1: We ate around 6 each.
PS2 Watch this space , more yumm stuff going to come , hehe a potpourri of Northy and Marathi dishes (courtesy my new roomy ).
PS3: wasn’t I suppose to write on my North -East trip? I actually don’t remember the stats or
PS4:Lazyyyy……, I am so Lazyyy……I have no enthu ..oouuu! ( Junta observe !, it’s the lonely , I am so lonely song ) :D
PS5: what else.
PS6 : Hey btw ,this new debutant –Jane tu fame –Imran khan ..me totally Fida.
PS7: Got a fundoo idea !! next post – “My incomplete posts”.




8 comments:

Sastry said...

MyGod this is going to be another recipe blog...

Yamini said...

I love your "lightning strikes, dark clouds appear/disappear" statements thrown in between. Captures the whole माहौल really well. And the jamoons look yummy. You promised us a treat - when is it????

Can't say much about Imran Khan. But yes, the songs of the movie rock.

Manasa said...

Awesome...nice way of making others go mad for food... :)

Abhinaw Sachan said...

Good post :-)

Changing the atmospherical-conditions/physical-presence of 'Light' ,'Clouds' & 'Angel' was awesome :-)....And "From A to z by yours truly" was equally good......I was about to roll over the table after these two statements :-)

more is awiated :-)

Anonymous said...

17 Gulaab Jamun aur log keval 2.....True Sweet lovers :)

Shilpa said...

@S3: dude whrs the recipe in the post ?..this is just drama.GJ is not over just by dough and chashnee preparation, thr is more to it.

@MiniY : Egzatly ,fultoo dramebazee with” sound ,lights and action” effects. Yes u surely deserve a treat.Anytime ,anywhere.
Imran is shooo cute.

@Manasa: Yeah , had it been chicken u and Neel wud have drooled over.

@Abhi-K: Yeah , i try/ make sure the audience is treated with hilarious roll over kind off humor.

@Anonymous: hehe , haan “17 Gulaab Jamun aur log keval 2.....bahut nainsafee , bahut nainsaafee!, par Sarkar!.
Read again the statement u made otherwise kind off has double meaning :P.Be careful.

ajit said...

gud effort....going throgh ur post shows how wella i'm :P...I have few qns.......ll ask sm other time..

Unknown said...

Finally i found out, whom I have to turn for GJ.